Where do I start. It's been such a long week.
On monday afternoon, I checked into NUH for my operation, Sounds like checking into a hotel right but it's far from a hotel man. It's quite an experience to stay in the hospital for 5 days, you see and hear a lot. I didn't sleep well most of the times. Got up a lot in the middle of the night and stuff. And for the first 2 days after the operation I was practically badridden.
Anyway tuesday 3rd of April is a day I will never forget. Actually I don't remember much of it. Just that I woke up, was woken up, at 6am for my last shower before the operation and I waited till 8 plus before this lovely nurse called Auntie Sweetie came and 'escorted' me to the operation theatre. I wasn't afraid or worried or anything, really didn't feel a thing. I felt as though I am standing on the outside seeing myself being pushed around in a wheelchair to the operation theatre. NUH has a total of 15 operation theatres and when I reached there there were 2 other ladies waiting for their turns. I passed this Delivery Suite on my way to the op thestre and it's funny that they give it such a nice name. They made me wear a shower cap and oh yah, they also made me wear this cool 'costume' that opens from the behind. One major thing that I learnt about living in the hospital is tha you don't wear undergarments. They provide disposable underwear but no bra. HAHA. This was to facilitate sponging and stuff.
So I was wheeled into the operation theatre and all the nurses and surgeons were buzzing around. They seem to be having fun LOL. Dr Intek said that the head surgeon, Dr Fan, is damn scary during the course of the operation as he doesn't play music and he always scolds a lot. I told him to record the process of the operaytion so I can hear it for myself. HAHA. But of course he didn't, he couldn't. The anesthetic doctor was the first person I met in the theatre. She was awefully nice and she injected morphine and fluides into my left wrist. After that they had a small chat about how old I am and stuff. Before I knew it I was knock out flat.
By the time I woke up I was surrounded by nurses and all my surgeons. You won't believe this but I actually had 4 surgeons in total. Dr Victor Fan being the head surgeona nd 3 other students under him. When I woke up, I just felt terribly cold and so I wanted tot ell the nurse that I am cold but I can't open my mouth. My jaws were sealed and so I wrote it down instead. Dr Fan and gang came and say Hi and they said it was a successful operation. at that moment, everything just felt like a dream. I was soon wheeled out of the recover theatre back to my ward and my parents were on both sides of the trolley. Like what you always see on TV where anxious relatives chase after their loved ones. But I'm glad my parents were there, smiling down on me. I felt so comforted and loved.
Oh yes, by the time I woke up from the operation, it was near 5pm and by the time I settled down in my hospital bed, it was 7pm. My mum stayed with me though and my sisters came to visit too. I coughed out blood a couple of times from my mouth and nose, then I settled down into a fitfull sleep till the next day. My mum stayed with me throughout the whole night. The next morning, all my surgeons surrounded me and did some examinations and asked the usual stuff. It was around then that I realised the number of tubes that were practically hanging from my body. I have 2 rather cute laterns hanging from both my cheeks And a tube that goes directly into my left nostril. I still have the tube injected into my left wrist and I think glucose is pumped into my system from that tube. I also have one more tube connected right into my bladder so I don't have to get up to go to the toilet at all. Dr Intek said that they thought they connected that tube incorrectly as one hour through the operation there wasn't any fluid coming out of my body. This is simple because I have been a good girl and have already emptied my bladder before going for the operation. HAHA.
With so many tubes ahnging from ym body you must think that I will feel deadly miserable. Well, you are wrong. I don't know why but I don't feel that bad. Not as bad as all my surgeons expect me to feel. All the nurses dote on me a lot, I feel. I think this is because I am the youngest there and they pay special attention to all my needs which is really nie of them. I wet my bed like 3 times as I had difficulty learning how to use the bedpan. It was rather ambaassing actually.
My friends came and visit on thursday. It was really sweet of all of them. Even my EL juniors came and visit. LOL. They really made my day. And by thursday I was able to stand up and walk, after they removed the terrible tube from ym bladder and nose. I can also suck my liquid food properly now and I no longer have the terrible sore throat brounght about by the nasty tube through my nose. This may all sound very confusing but it makes sense to me LOL. My grandparents and cousins also called to ask about my conditions. It's really wonderful to have all your friends and relatives rally around you at this kind of times and I really feel very much loved and touched by each and every single person who care.
Eating was a big problem. I can't open my jaws so I had to take liquid food instead. In fact, I will be taking liquid food for one whole month. Now I still don't feel a thing below my nose. It's still pretty num,b and stiff. My lips were really swollen for the first few days, now it's getting better each day. My laterns were removed on friday and that is the day I went home. Waited for ages to get my medicine but it still didn't arrive by 2pm by then I was bored to death. It is after all Good Friday and the hospital seems to be malfunctioning. My neighbour arcosss my bed was also checking out and she too waited for damn long but she got her medication in the end. My parents and I couldn't wait any longer so instead they just drove me home and went back later to collect my medication. I have a total of 7 different maedicine to take. And I am so not going to take all 7 2 or 3 times a day. It's an aweful lot and I don;t really need them. I don't have pain so I don't need pain killers. Neither do I have stomach gas so I don't need the gastric thingy.
It's good to be home finally. I get to see woofie again. I missed him a lot a lot. And I miss my bed too. And my house in general. But I know that less then half the battle is won. I still have to take extra care of mysaelf for the next one month. What a long way to go. But I think I will be able to make it, what with the immense support from my family and friends. One thing I really miss was watching Bleach on youtube. LOL.