After 2 days of SISC, the best thing is making friends from all over the world and learning about their lives. And I think that Russians are damn hot. Full-stop. No arguments. The youngest contestant is this Russian boy of 13 years old. And that's not all, his project won a Distinction award. He looks just like Justin Timberlake, especially the hair and long side burns. But he can't really speak English very well. Who cares? He's hot. His friend is sizzling hot too. Okay, enough of hot guys.
I learnt a lot from the foreign students. Now I know that the world is really very very big and I still have so much to learn and Singapore is really just a small little red dot, as cliche as it may sound. The Americans from Canterbury School sheld some light to live in a small private American school where people can buy their way into the school blatently and where real life problems facing teens today like drug addictions and underage pregnancy are prevalent. The Korean students from this boarding school in Seoul speak perfect English and they lead a colourful life on campus, jam packed with activities. Many of the people I spoke to are around my age and are all entering College next year. Some of them like the two Korean students I spoke to are taking their SATs coming June like me. In a sense, there are many common grounds that we share and I find that I can talk to them on many subjects that concern us as students, as teenagers.
It's just been two days but I think I will really miss them all when it comes to an end. Currently Chin Yue and I are thinkning of showing the Americans arouind as they'll be staying for the weekend. Some of them have just taken a 30 over hour flight and only arrived in Sinagpore yesterday morning, the first thing they did was to rush down for the competition. Man, they are mentally strong.
I spoke to this student from Beijing No.4 High School and he was really interested in my project, I have never seen someone so interested. LOL. I had a hard time explaining my project to him in chinese. My chinese standard has really dropped a lot and I feel ashamed to admit that I took High Chinese in secondary school. I feel that I have let down all my Chinese teachers.
Speaking about secondary school, RVHS students were also involved! And Mrs Lim came yesterday. She noticed my project and saw my name. When I got to my booth she was already there and I explained my project to her. It's really good to see her again. Chin Yue, Mrs Lim and I had a small chat about RV and how it has changed. She was so proud of Chin Yue and I. In a way I think I owe RV a lot. RV has given me a strong foundation and although there is a ceiling in RV, if you are good you can only be that good, but it really makes things easier for me as I go to JC. I find that in JC I am relearning a lot of things I already knew, so I didn't find too much difficulties in my studies. Mrs Lim was right by saying that RJ lets you fly, but I would like to tell her that RV gave me my wings.
Jian Zhi and I were looking at the list of President's Scholars from NJC and we saw 3 names that stood out: Lee Hsien Loong, Ho Ching, Lee Hsien Yang. Hmm, why am I not surprised.
Tomorrow will be another great day I am sure.
The secret to happiness is wanting what you have.