Last entry of the year 2007!
I am not in the habit of setting new year resolutions. I find that I cannot think up of a list of things I want to do better and change for the next year because half the time I won't take my list seriously. I am more spontaneous and I do believe I will either forget everything that is on my list or I will misplace it, so, who cares? I think it is better to stick to life-long goals. Like make a pledge to do something and stick to it for life instead of coming up with something new and changing your resolutions every single year. I am just not into that.
For me, 2007 was a year of growth and I want every year to be like this one, and even better. A levels may take centre stage this year but that is not how I will choose to label this year by. I don't think I will look back and think: Ahhh 2007... A levels... Afterall, it didn't bring back many happy moments. And then again, it is too early to tell because it is only in March 2008 then can I justify the pain and sufferings that I have been through academically. One big lesson of self-growth to take away for year 2007 would be to always leave your cup half filled. What it means in a nutshell is to keep an open mind and to empty away half or more of any assumptions and prejudices towards people and situations alike. I think this is one of the more important lessons I have learned in 2007. Simple as it is, this is a powerful lesson as it totally changes my point of view and allows me to really enjoy and better comprehend issues at hand.
Major events of 2007. My grandma passed away. Peck Yan's grandma passed away too recently and at 18 we realise the fragility of human life. Woofie ran away. I discovered how important a role my dog plays in the family. I went for an operation. And yes, I can smile through adversity and I learn that I am not alone and I learn the agony of being mute however temporarily and that time flies, really. Graduating from RJC. If only junior college could be longer. 2 years are barely enough for me. I have grown attached to the school, the teachers and most of all the people. Looking back it has been a fantastic year that taught me the beauty of team work and the joy of working together as a school towards a goal. I feel that I owe a lot to my teachers and they have touched my heart. No matter the final verdict in March 2008, I just want to say that it was indeed a wonderful 2007 and if only JC life could be prolonged.
It has been a blessed year for me. Here I come 2008!
And I am really looking forward to this year as I know it will be even more exciting. Here's a little preview of 2008! First of all, I will be working. Not that I am not working now, currently giving tuition, but I am finally getting a 9 to 5 job at SP. Working in the HR department, I am going to help out in the open house preparations. Exciting! And the best thing is I get free lunch everyday, hopefully, as my dad will be around. So maybe this is not a real real job, but it's only for one month. Maybe I can persuade them to give me more work! Around March, April period I will be going for an attachment to where I am not saying it here but you can ask me if you are interested! And I am also looking forward to it and I expect to learn a lot and grow from it too! Then there is RCLF!! Like finally. It was postponed from last year June and I think there will definitely be a lot of reshuffling of people involved seeing that the guys are doing their National Service. But I am really looking forward to it too in March this time round as it will be something wonderful and exciting. And I am pretty much anticipating a fantastic Olympic Dreams 2008 as well. This is the final year for the event and the grandest as we are sending our very own Singaporean paralympists to Beijing! And 2008 will be wonderful because of the American elections! I am still undecided over Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama but I do hope either of them wins! Then there's the Olympic games in Beijing. I am not really into sports but I do believe this is something that gets everyone all hyped up about! I am also really looking forward to college/university life! And this could also mean going overseas to study so it will be one great step for me as well. Whether I will be studying locally or overseas, I know that I just can't wait for this new chapter of my life to begin! Before that, I may be going back to Cambodia where I spend 17 memorable days at Kien Kleang Orphanage. I really hope we can go back to see all the children there and to see how much they have changed and grew! Eventhough the guys won't be coming due to National Service committments. Hopefully we can get Mr Tan or Ms Wong to join us.
Globally, the year 2008 will be a challenging one as we continue to grapple with the banes of an ailing world especially environmentally and politically. The assassination of Bhutton has throw her husband and son into the spotlight as I read on today's newspapers. Her son is 19 this year and already the world is watching his every move. I am glad I am 18 and a nobody because I don't think I will be able to handle that kind of stress! 2007 was a milestone in addressing global environmental issues what with Al Gore's The Inconvenient Truth and the IPCC Intergovernmental Panel for Climate Change. And not to mention the A level General Paper question on climate change that so many attempted (but I didn't HAHA). And we saw Myammar's monk in action as they fight for freedom. Events like this make me thank God 1,000 times that I am born in Singapore, the little red dot and nothing more than 'a dried mucus' but I am 100% pleased and forever grateful for the sense of peace and security I have. Then there was the recently concluded Thai elections. It is undeniable that Thaksin charms people and sure he uses money to buy votes and is corrupt but he is really charming. In this day and age, I believe that most successful politicians are charming to start with. And we have Mr Putin from Russia, TIME magazine's person of the year 2007. Yes he may be a dictator but maybe that is what Russia needs right now. My mum says human fallacy is unavoidable and we see it all around as everyday and we warn ourselves against it but how many people can claim to successfully avoid the lure of fame, power, riches? Once you get a taste of it, you will want more and more and this will only make you blinded to the truth.
Enough sad, this is the longest entry since after A levels, I think. And my neighbours are coming over for a countdown party tonight! So, HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE =DDD