It’s funny how one’s perceptions of things changes with Age. Today we are talking about Money. I have been counting, ever since my Dad told me, the amount of money I walk pass down the street. To study in LSE for three years I will need roughly close to S$200k and that is almost the cost of a Mercedes. Porsches, BMWs and Jaguars are affordable with S$200k and even if you don’t have the money you can always loan from the bank and pay instalments. After Pastor How preached about living a life free of debt I have decided that I will never fall for the trick of instalments as if I cannot save up monthly to buy a car what makes me think that I can pay my instalments on time? Of course we are not looking at the amount needed to buy a house. S$200k can get you a small old HDB flat too actually. But if I were to buy a decent enough house I know it will be impossible to save up enough cash to pay for the house in full amount. So there are things that can wait like a car and there are things that cannot because we all need a shelter over our heads.
Do you remember the days when S$0.30 can get you a bowl of noodles in your primary school canteen? I do. I’m like a big fan of 30 cents noodles and they are quite filling when I was in primary school. So back then $2 can buy you a lot of things and $10 seems like a lot a lot of money. But as I grew up with or without inflation, money and its value seem to shrink. You get the feeling that the figure needed to blow you away just seems to get bigger and bigger. Now I am thinking in terms of millions. Like I walk down the street and count.. S$100k for any ordinary car I see and S$150-200k for a car like this:
So I can easily reach a million dollars when I reach the playground.
Now I understand why people go through all that trouble to steal a car and some try all means to protect it. For me, my dream car is something small and red and comfy that is not flashy or expensive. But definitely not a Cherry QQ 'cause I hear that they are so light weight and made in China that the car gets into al sorts of accidents and emerge as a piece of compressed metal. Maybe this too will change with age but to me cars are more for the utilitarian purposes.
This year I made quite a few firends who are in their twenties and some of them just passed into the twenty zone. Time will fly through once you are in your twenties I suppose this is because everyone around you and yourself are working like mad so you don't have much time to slack around and count time? HAHA. So I am 18 going to 19 and I am going to make the best of off my remaining teenage years!