So here I am in London and my exact location is Rosebery Hall Room 522, 90 Rosebery Avenue, EC1R 4TY. Coming to London I have had to start memorising a lot of new things and I am not talking about studying here I am referring to the above things such as my new address and my long new number: +44 075 2239 9969. Oh and my room extension number to call is 24345. These small adjustments to my memory chip in my brain has made me realise how we depend on our minds to survive.
Of course the above is mainly CRAP. I am up freakin' early today at 8am for a saturday morning as I was supposed to be on skype with my parents and my dear friend pong but both parties have decided to pangseh me so I am left alone to vent on my blog. HAHA. I love London. I love LSE. That sums it up. I feel like I am in a movie every single time I look out of my window and I walk on the streets. I see all kinds of people on the streets and it is simply amazing. I see lots of big real dogs too not the tinny kind that people keep in handbags. Perhaps it is because everything is so new and fresh that I don't feel a sense of home sickness at all. I am fitting in just fine and realising that London is a great place to stay in if not for the cost.
Being in London and studying without a real scholarship can sometimes be a pain in the arse. And the Brits do not say 'ass' so don't say 'ass' in UK, say 'arse'. HAHA my friend made that mistake and the Brits find it so amusing that they have been calling her 'asshole' to poke fun at her. But back to my main point, I have to really watch my budget and sometimes the enjoyment is curtained. In two short weeks I have busted over 200quid ie 200pounds. I don't really know where all my money went to but most of which are spent on items that are one-off ie books and necessities and it is highly likely they are sunken costs so my actual expenditure is much lower.
The Brits have a problem with smoke and alcohol. On the streets everywhere you turn there is a pub laying somewhere around the corner and most of the time if you see shops that are quirkily named you know they must be pubs or clubs. Clubbing here is expensive too. Entry fee is about 10pounds each time but for school events it is about 4-5pounds. I have my own school bar actually 2 school bars in the same building which looks like a one storey building but there is more than meets the eye as there is a basement and the pub is called Underground. LOL. How original. But drinks are cheap. By London standards. Apple cider costs 90p (0.90pounds) and beer costs slightly higher but you get a bigger glass. Everywhere I go on the streets there are people smoking. I hate the smoke. That is about the only one thing that I dislike about London. I just don't understand why people smoke although most of them are social smokers but I still find smoking disgusting.
School work is starting to pile up. Although for this year the 4 modules that I am doing are: Economics, Math, Statistics and Accounting&Finance (of which the last one is my option) and the material covered are not unlike that in JC but I am finding the lecture speed mind blowing. Especially for Math and I just found out today that calculators are NOT allowed in examinations. Thank you. I am so dead. For economics one of the set text is actually a story book titled: The Fatal Equilibrium. It's not really interesting to read but it does contain a lot of Economic theory. I am attempting to complete it by today.
One thing about LSE is that it is a place where everyone wants to secure a fantastic job. In a sense the career services centre is awesome and the societies on campus also help students find the best employer and make us better employees. There are too many opportunities to network with people who might be your future colleagues and employers. The best thing is the FREE food and gifts and whatever. It's amazing. It has only been my second week and I have gotten many freebies from Merrill Lynch and the such. The societies here are also very active and they operate on a higher level than in JC. Maybe because RJ is in Singapore so how big can it get but here you can tell that it is a truly global network and outreach so it is really fantastic.
Shall attempt to mug now.