Don't you just love lazy wednesdays? When the sun is out and there is nothing to do but to laze around and enjoy the peace..hang on what peace and quiet? There's this noisy construction going on right outside my doorstep. What the hell. This is the second time it has happened since I moved in. Road works are just never ending in London. And they might have been more pronounced now that the government is spending money like water. But the view out of my window is still breath takingly good.
Can't wait for the school term to end. It's been such a crazy term. I went to watch Chicago yesterday and the dancing was awesome. The plot was alright but I like the way it poked fun at the American judicial system and the way the media is protrayed in the musical. Razzle-dazzle them you say! I have come to the inevitable conclusion that sex sells. "Everywhere Friedman looks he sees money, everywhere I look I see sex, but I just don't translate them into my researc..", this alleged quote from Solow (who developed the growth model) sums up what half of London do in the evening. People either go clubbing or drinking or to the theatre and everywhere you turn you can see that sex sells. And it is just a marketing strategy sometimes really.
I am impressed by how some people can just waste their time away partying. Seems like they are wasting their life away to me. I am in a unique position to say this since the hall I live in is the Party Hall and all my friends party to varying extends. It's not that I don't like them, trust me they are really a great bunch of people to hang out with (when they are sober) but that I disapprove of the lifestyle and I am thankful for the conviction in me to say no. When people get drunk things can get really out of hand and really interesting. It's amazing what people do when they are on alcohol. Clubs in London close at 3am and I think this could ba a government regulation because just imagine if the clubs are opened till 6am like those in Singapore, clubbers will just waste their life away and not work at all! The night life industry in London is an interesting case study. I am not against clubbing or drinking, I am just against excessive clubbing and drinking.
And it is back to my lazy wednesday afternoon. The noise has stopped. Yes.. peace and quiet.. do the government really think they can spend their way out of the recession? If monetary policy is not working then use fiscal policy? But what sustains consumer confidence. In my opinion the largest factor that determines the future economy outlook lies in consumer confidence. There is a limit to how much the government can spend and it is scary how much money the US and UK government are pledging to the banks and different institutions be it automobile or insurance. This can only mean higher taxes in the future. Which means that I have to pay more taxes when I work! And I don't want to! So I save now but if I save now the economy will collapse and never recover like Japan.
Hope for the best?